Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."

Let's pretend for a minute that a friend made a new years resolution to lose 30lbs by April.  He or she (most likely she) wants you to be their work out buddy to help keep them motivated.  They make you join the gym and work out with them three nights a week, starting January 3. How long do you keep going with them before little Joey gets an ear infection or Molly has a ballet recital?  How long do any of us really keep our new years resolutions?

I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt and say that most people give up between two weeks and a month.  It's hard to change your life temporarily, just waiting for the date when you can be done, so why bother? So why do we make resolutions every year, if we know we aren't going to keep them?  

A resolution shouldn't be temporary.  It should be a slow and steady change in your life to make it better, and you happier.  Saying 'I want to lose 30 lbs by April' is giving you an end to something that shouldn't have an end.  In order to be successful, I think the right words should be something like, "I want to live a healthy lifestyle and exercise on a regular basis."  There is no end to this statement.  There is no date in your head that you are staring at, just waiting for it to be here so you can finally relax on the couch to watch reruns of "Grey's Anatomy" and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's. When you have that, you have guilt. It's okay to sit around and watch TV sometimes.  It's even okay to eat a pint of ice cream.  Just not every day.  Make an attempt to better yourself by giving you a break.  Treat your body right every day, not just because you want to fit into that bikini by June. But because you want to be healthy and live a long life.  


I have yet to ever keep a resolution I've made.  I did the whole diet thing and lasted two weeks.  Last year, my goal was to write every day so I could finish my book.  As we all know, I haven't touched the thing in OVER a year.  This year I think I will fix what I want.  Yes, I want to finish my book so I can move on to editing and possibly publishing. But right now, I need to fix my brain so I'm motivated to pick it up and read it.  


So, my new years resolution is to let myself be.  To not worry or over think; to not assume or over analyze. That's my biggest problem.  I don't think it's good enough.  I don't think I"M good enough, so why waste the energy?  But this year, I'm changing the way I think.  How do I know if I'm good enough if I don't try?  How do I know if this book is any good if I don't give it a chance? 


I'm done questioning. I'm going to give it a chance. 

1 comment:

  1. I do have to say that I normally produce an epic fail when it comes to resolutions. 2010 was different. I kept my resolutions all year. I have accomplished things that I have put off for years. On that note, I am not sure if I deserve a year off of even making resolutions or if accomplishing them for once, means that I have to keep it up now. ha! I'll let ya know how that one goes. ;)

    ReplyDelete